Friday, May 23, 2014

Fagioli all'Olio with Tomato, Basil, and Mozzarella Salad for Memorial Day

I decided to make this recipe because it has been a hectic semester and I needed something simple but delicious. The recipe calls for cannellini beans, but any white beans will do fine. My favorite are navy beans. 

I. The Shopping
Here I am on Friday at Union Square Farmer's Market, where I was tempted by the Raspberry Rugelach...mmm. Expensive but delicious

On a healthier note, apples just picked up from the tree were the usual $ 1.50

For the mozarella in the salad, I visited my local deli, Rosario's, 
where they make fresh mozarella balls every day


The morning's bounty: 
I bought a basil plant so it would last more than just one meal.

II. The Recipe
Soak some navy beans overnight.

Chop some garlic (about 2-3 cloves)
Chop some dried sage.


Add garlic and sage and some olive oil to the beans.
Cook the beans on a moderate flame for about 40 minutes.
Add salt. 
Cook for about 10 more minutes or until done. 


Now, the salad.
Slice tomatoes, slice mozarella, get some basil leaves from the plant.

 Add lots of balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper. 

III. The Eating
Fagioli all'Olio two ways (with or without pasta) 
plus a tomato and an arugula salad. Mmmm..yum




The Cost
  • Six small tomatoes for $3
  • One basil plant for $3
  • One mozzarella ball for $3
  • One bag navy beans for $2
  • Sage, garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, salt, pepper--let's say $2

Total: $13 AND I have beans, tomatoes, and mozzarella for at least one more meal for two people, if not more.

IV. The Reflection
Even though this project comes at the worst time in the semester for me, I think that taking that time to get the food (at least two hours), prepare the food (about an hour), and eat the food (5 seconds--joking!) is totally worth it. Too many of the activities I do are hurried and harried. This project forces me to slow down a bit, even if only for a couple of hours. Besides, it leaves me with leftovers, which means I do not have to cook another day!